Why is Mold So Bad?

One of the biggest problems when it comes to water damage isn’t necessarily the moment water is present, but it’s the weeks and months following the damage and mold begins to set in.

Even the smallest amount of water or moisture can lead to major mold problems that can debilitate a living space.

How it develops

Mold grows when there is moisture around. Standing water doesn’t even have to present in order for mold to grow. If you have a damp basement with poor air flow this can be a breeding ground for mold.

If you have water damage and it isn’t taken care of right away that can also lead to mold development.

Black Mold

Black mold is one of the most dangerous and harmful of all molds. It can cause  so many issues with the human body.

Symptoms of mold exposure can include the following:

  • Headache
  • Itchy/watery eyes
  • Sore Throat
  • Sinus Congestion
  • Skin Irritation

If you have any of these symptoms and believe you have exposure to black mold, consult your physician.

Clean Up

Dealing with mold is never an easy clean up. It’s recommended that only trained professionals deal with this type of repair and restore. But if you find yourself needed to care for it yourself you will want to keep these things in mind.

Protective Gear

First and foremost, you will need protective gear. This especially means getting a proper face mask to block the harmful spores from getting into your airways.

Unplugged electronics

Unplugged electronics and appliances carefully. Remove any and all furniture or like items away from the infected area.

Dry out infected areas

Clean up all the water, this may include getting a dehumidifier to suck out any and all moisture that may still be in the air.

Disinfect

Bleach comes in handy during this time. After you have clean the area, go over it again with diluted bleach to take care of any other microscope spores that may think they have gotten away.

Prevent

If you plan on painting the area again use a paint like Kilz to prevent occurrence.

Dispose Properly

It may be tempting to just dump the remains of your water damage into the trash bin or take it to the dump, but careful disposal is required for these type of things.  Get a hold of your city to see what their standards are for caring for such items.